Ngu Binh Mountain :
This is one of the best sights for scenic
beauty in Hue. It has another name of Bang Son, three kilometers from the
royal city of Hue. Ngu Binh is a trapezium figure. The top of Ngu Binh
mountain is flat, 103 meters above sea level. From a distance, visitors
can see the mountain range as a massive curtain protecting the imperial
city of Hue from storms and strong winds. Together with the Huong (berfume)
River, Ngu Binh mountain is a symbol of Hue.
Duong No Village :
This is the place where President Ho Chi
Minh lived in his childhood. Duong No village is about six
kilometers east of Hue.
Dieu De Pagoda :
pagoda is located at 100 Bach Dang street, Phu Cat district, in Hue city.
It was built
by King Thieu Tri in 1844 on the platform (5,000m2) of his old
residence, where he was born in 1807. The pagoda was constructed on a
large scale, but was badly damaged during the successive wars. In 1889,
Bonze Tam Truyen was granted fund by King Thanh Thai to restore the
pagoda, but once again, it was badly damaged during a storm, in 1904. The
present construction was made in 1953. The pagoda includes a main
sanctuary with two statues of the Eight Vajra Deities. Behind the pagoda
is a guest-room and a kitchen. In the courtyard stand a stele house and a
bell tower. The two-storey entrance gate is topped with Dhamma Guardian's
pavilion. Located between Dong Ba and Gia Hoi bridge, the pagoda
attracts many visitors. Dieu De was the third site listed by King
Thieu Tri in the 20 beauty spots of Hue.
Hermitage Bien Duc
Thien An :
The Hermitage Bien Duc Thien An, usually name Thien Duc Hermitage, has
been founded in Summer 1940 by the Bien Duc French hermits with the name
of Thien An (Peace from Heaven). The Hermitage is situated on the Thien An
Hill - the name of the hill comes from that of the Hermitage. Before the
hermitage managed also an infirmary and a school; the students by now have
become cadres mainly of the locality. To day the hermitage is only a place
for religious formation.
hermitage is surrounded by a quiet pine forest, situated between the tomb
of Thieu Tri and that of Ming Mang, about 6 km from the ancient capital
Hue, in the South - Western direction. Walking in this Thien An pine hill,
the tourist would think he is somewhere in the forests around Da Lat. Here
is the Thuy Tien lake, and there the Luu Ly lake, all this contribute to
enhance the charm, the poetic and dreamy spell of the Thien An hill,
making it a tourism and entertainment site, and a picnicking zone for
schoolboys and students.
heritage with this quiet and silent environment helps its members to
deepen in their religious meditations, and also creates more favourable
conditions to all those who come here to fray and search for peace of
"Ho Quyen" - Tiger's Arena :
Quyen was the arena where duels between elephants and tigers were arranged
for the entertainment of the Emperor, the royal family and mandarins..
Quyen was built in 1830 on the south bank of the Perfume river and 4 km
from the citadel. It is a unique construction, open air and solidly built
as a citadel. The coliseum consists of two concentric circles built with
bricks and mortar. The first staircase with 20 steps was exclusively
reserved for the
Emperor and royal family leading up to the rectangular tribune with the
surface of 96m sq. the height of 1.5m in comparison with the path surface.
Looking down from the tribune, people can see the cavity with the
coliseum. The second staircase, with 15 steps was used by the soldiers and
the common people leading up to the earthen part. Between the two
staircases is a big entrance 1.9 m wide and 3.9 m high for the elephants
to enter the coliseum.
way running around above this curved door is narrowed into a small bridge
across the curved door. Under it is a big two-wing wooden door with stone
hinges which still remain undamaged.
Opposite to the tribune for the Emperor on the other side of the arena are
five cages for tigers and leopards. Above the middle cage is a stone sign
inscribed the two Chinese words "HO QUYEN".
duel between elephants and tigers is a long standing entertainment for
Emperors and Lords.
the old time, the duels HO QUYEN were held once a year. The last one was
organized here in 1904 in Thanh Thai's reign.
The Tiger's arena is a unique architectural work rarely found in South
Though it is not as huge as the arenas of the Emperor Romance but it still
bears an outstanding figure and creates a martial and imposing atmosphere.
Hon Chen Temple :
just on the bank of the Perfume River inclined to poetic dreams and 10 km
upstream of Hue, the Hon Chen temple for cult of Po Nagar, the Goddess of
the ancient Cham minority. After then, the Vietnamese continued the cult
and name the Goddess as Heaven Goddess Y A Na.
temple for Goddess appeared in this place centuries ago, but with a very
simple design, and after then, reconstructed with a larger and more
beautiful architectural scale in 1886.
Hon Chen temple is situated at a lovely site seated on the slope of the
mountain Ngoc Tran (Jade - cup) with sheer cliff and mirroring in the deep
blue water of the Perfume River.
Hue Quoc Hoc School :
Hoc High school was founded pursuant to the royal decree dated September
17th 1896 (the 8th year of Thanh Thai reign) and the decree on November
18th 1896 of the French Resident-Superior in Indochina. The school was
built on the site of a former squadron headquarter - a royal navy
headquarters (1806 or the 5th year of Gia Long's reign).
Quoc Hoc High
school was founded in order to train those who would serve the feudal
colonial government, so in the study curricula then, French was the main
subject. The conditions of the students accepted by Quoc Hoc High school:
- The sons of
the King's relatives.
- The sons of royal families.
- The mandarin's sons.
- The students of Thanh Nhon school and Quoc Tu Giam school.
In 1915, when the decree annulling Emperor ancient exam in
the province and the ancient exam of the capital in the North was issued,
Quoc Hoc High school was rebuilt. The rows of thatch roofed apartments
were torn down and replaced by two rows of buildings, the walls made of
brick, the roof covered with tiles. It was solid, and comfortable
according to the western European architecture. Most of the architectures
are still extant.
In 1932, the
school opened many specialized classes and its name was changed into Khai
Dinh Lycee. During the resistance against French Colonialists on December
19th 1946, the school was moved into two places and followed the
- One branch:
the 1st stage with the name "Binh Tri Thien school" was situated in Huong
Khe, Ha Tinh province.
branch of 2nd stage school with the name "Huynh Thuc Khang school", was
situated in Duc Tho, Ha Tinh Province. The branch returned to Hue after
ten years of interruption, and was occupied by colonialists as a barrack
on April 29th 1955, the school was restored and has resumed normal
Ho Chi Minh Museum (Branch in Hue) :
Museum opens everyday (except
Morning: 7h30' - 11h30'
- Add: 6 Le Loi street, Hue
Evening: 13h30' - 16h30'
- Tel: 054.822152 - 820445
Ho Chi Minh museum is arranged in a two-storey building on Le Loi Street
looking over 8the lovely Perfume River. Many exhibits and pictures about
the life and revolutionary activities of President Ho Chi Minh are
displayed here, especially introduce the ten years He lived in Hue.
A visit to Ho Chi Minh museum will help tourists to understand more about the
life and 88the career of President Ho Chi Minh, the venerable leader of
Vietnam, to understand more about the unlimited esteem of the people of
Thua Thien-Hue to Uncle Ho.
Imperial Museum :
Add: 3 Le Truc street
The Imperial Museum of Hue is a gallery of antiques displaying collections of
bronze, pottery, chinaware, Phap Lam enamel, court robes, head-gear and
personal belongings of former Vietnam Emperors.
It is a 7-compartment, 2-bay building constructed in the "double"
architecture, originally called the Long An Palace (Emperor's Security) in
the Bao Dinh Residence of Tay Loc precinct. When French troops took Bao
Dinh Residence for their headquarters in 1885, Long An Palace was removed
and materials were stored. But, in 1909, by order of Emperor Duy Tan, they
were moved to the present-day site (3 Le Truc St.) where was built the New
Library and Office of Association of Friends of Old Hue.
It served later as the Khai Dinh Museum in Emperor Khai Dinh's time, in 1923.
The building (former Long An Palace) housing the museum is a monument of
remarkable value. The Wooden panels are covered with 35 poems and essays
composed by Emperor Thieu Tri.
Phu Cam Main Cathedral :
Phu Cam main
Cathedral is situated at Phuoc Vinh, Hue City. The Cathedral was built
with modern architecture, designed by the architect Ngo Viet Duc.
1963, the construction of the Cathedral was built. To 1967 only the Saint
Palace was built and then to 1965, the Cathedral was basically completed.
Phu Cam cathedral was built by new concept of physical structure.
Supporting pillars were concreted closely attached to the walls and
gradually and supplely bended ahead. The three supporting pillars at each
of four corners stretch out and create a fairly large space to embrace the
whole of Saint Palace and Saint Altar.
of the Cathedral was built following classical tradition with Latin Holy
Cross and two opening doors. There are two row of colour glass windows
located in the upper interior of the Cathedral and in the middle, there is
a Holy Cross made of steel and concrete.
Palace is a round shape with foot steps and on the top there is a smaller
round shape with the altar made of marble bloc. Temporary house was
closely built to the backstage of the cathedral fitted in the concave part
behind and settle on a high platform in the center.
In the two
wings of the crucifix, there is the tomb of the former archbishop Philipe
Nguyen Kim Dien (1921-1988) in the left and in the opposite right - the
altar for presenting the Saint.
front of the Phu Cam main cathedral there are two moulding statues: the
Saint Phero is in the right, and in the left is Saint Paulo and other
missionaries of the Phu Cam diocese. The open-space of Phu Cam main
cathedral looks like an opening-mouth-dragon and in general Phu Cam
cathedral with its top perpendicularly stretching to the sky is very
purified and full of artistic and religious characters.
The Cathedral was built in 1937 and completed in 1942. The Cathedral located at
the end of Nguyen Hue street, in Hue City.
The particular architecture of the cathedral is its large doors without
partitions. The verandah of the Cathedral is largely designed in order to
make who ever stay in the verandah, feel that they were in the interior of
altar is made of rose marble and its bloc is 3.6m long, 1.25 m wide and
2.8 m high. Near by the main altar, there are two smaller ones also made
of rose marble in bloc. In the Cathedral, there are dums, gongs deeply
characterizing East-Asian characters.
verandah, there is a small room to maintain remains of dead Christians
ashes in small earthenware for worshipping (with burning incense stick).
campanile consists of four bells operated by electricity. The Cathedral of
the Redeemer has its pointed cone stretching out to the sky and its main
roof is covered by tiles, all of those show the combination of western and
eastern architecture in design and construction. This is a cathedral of
fine architecture in Hue City.
Thien Mu Pagoda :
The name of the pagoda comes from a legend: a
long ago, an old woman appeared on the hill where the pagoda stands today.
She told local people that a Lord would come and build a Buddhist pagoda
for the country's prosperity. Lord Nguyen Hoang, on hearing that, ordered
the construction of the pagoda of the "Heavenly Lady".
pagoda is situated on Ha Khe hill, on the left bank of the Perfume River,
in Huong Long village, 5km from Hue city.
It was built
in 1601, and then Lord Nguyen Phuc Tan had it renovated in 1665. In 1710,
Lord Nguyen Phuc Chu had a great bell cast (2.5m high, 3.285kg) and in
1715, he had a stele (2.58 m high) erected on the back of a marble
Several kings of the Nguyen Dynasty such as Gia Long, Minh Mang, Thieu Tri
and Thanh Thai, all had the pagoda restored. Phuoc Duyen tower (at first
called Tu Nhan tower) was erected in 1884 by King Thieu Tri. This
octagonal tower has seven storeys (2m high). Dai Hung shrine, the
main-hall, presents a magnificent architecture. As well as bronze cast
statues, it shelters some precious antiques: the bronze gong cast in 1677,
the wooden gilded board with Lord Nguyen Phuc Chu's inscriptions (1714).
On both sides of the pagoda are a room for the bonzes and a guest-room for
is surrounded by flowers and ornamental plants. At the far end of the
garden stretches a calm and romantic pine-tree forest.
was heavily damaged in 1943. Bonze Thich Don Hau hence organized a great
renovation of the pagoda, that lasted for more than 30 years.
Nowadays the pagoda is very well-maintained and very welcoming to all
Tu Dam Pagoda :
pagoda is one of the biggest pagodas in Hue. The pagoda was founded at the
end of the 17th century (in about 1695) by the Venerable Minh Hoang
Tu Dung, a Chinese who belonged to the 34th sect of the Lam Te
school of Zen. He was the high-ranking monk who taught and gave the
certification to monk Lieu Quan, the Buddhist initiator of Vietnam in the
pagoda is now in the district of Truong An, on a beautiful piece of land:
high, wide and flat. The pagoda is only 2km from the centre of Hue city,
along Dien Bien Phu street, across Nam Giao Bridge up to the end of the
first slope. The pagoda has a south-east orientation. Kim Phung mount in
the front served as a natural wind-screen. Linh Quang pagoda and the
temple dedicated to respectable patriot Phan Boi Chau stand on the left,
and Thien Minh pagoda, in the back.
Tu Dam is
not the biggest nor the oldest pagoda in the country, but it is famous and
nationally known for its important role in the process of development of
Buddhism, and the struggle for peace and for freedom of religion.
pagoda was designed following the model of a conference pagoda (Chua Hoi).
The old and new architectures blend together creating spacious and
harmonious elements. The three main parts of the pagoda are the three
entrance gate, the main sanctuary and the conference House.
The gate is
high and wide with a tiled roof. Just inside the gate is a big bodhi tree,
providing shadow all year around. As a branch, this bodhi tree was taken
right from the bodhi tree under which Buddha reached Nirvana. Mrs Karpeies,
Head of the French Buddhist Association, brought it back from India as a
present offered to the pagoda and planted it there in 1936. The pagoda
yard was built on a very large surface so that it can provide enough space
for thousands of people. Every year, on Buddha's birthday, it is a
gathering place where many important and most crowded festivals of Hue’s
Buddhists take place.
sanctuary consists of a service hall and an ancestors' altar. The service
hall was built on a marble foundation 1.5m high with an old style roof
forming a towering and impressive pagoda. On the edge and top of the roof
are many curving, gentle, symmetric pairs of dragons creating a
well-balanced and harmonious beauty. Under the ancient roof are frescoes
telling Buddha’s stories. Many long couplets are hung on the pillars of
the Service hall. The building is flanked by two stele and drum towers.
Dam pagoda worships one Buddha only, so that its appointments are rather
simpler than that of other pagodas in Hue. In the temple, there is a
Buddha Sakyamuni sitting on a lotus pedestal. There are an ancestors’
altar house and a monks’ house behind the main temple. The two storey
Conference Hall is large and wide building with 10 rooms to meet the
requirements of a conference pagoda.
Tu Hieu Pagoda :
The pagoda is
located at Duong Xuan Thuong III hamlet, in Thuy Xuan village, 5km
southwest of Hue. It faces the southeast and uses Ngu Binh mount as a
was originally a small hut built by Nhat Dinh in 1843, who was formerly
recognized by royal authority as the monk of Giac Hoang Pagoda. In 1848,
the pagoda was restored by monk Cung Ky with the help of the king's
eunuchs and courtiers. Tu Hieu hence became a large pagoda.
In 1894, it
was rebuilt by Cuong Ky with the support of King Thanh Thai and the King's
eunuchs created the half-moon lake. In 1962, the pagoda was renovated by
Most Ven. Chon Thiet. And in 1971 the three entrance gate and the staff
houses were rehabilitated by senior monk Chi Niem.
was built in the shape of the Chinese character "Khau" (mouth), with the
main building consisting of three rooms and two wings. The main sanctuary
is devoted to the worship of Buddha. Behind there is a room honoring
former monks of the pagoda. Across a courtyard, the Quang Hieu Duong Hall
houses an altar dedicated to local Buddhist devotees on the right, another
to the deity Quan Cong in the center, and a third to the eunuchs on the
left. A separate altar in this hall honors Le Van Duyet, an outstanding
mandarin during the reign of Emperor Gia Long. On the left side of the
courtyard are the living quarters of the monks (Ta Lac Thien) and to Tu
Hieu right is the guest-house (Huu Ai Nhat).
entrance gate to the pagoda is a curved two storey structure. On the
second storey, a statue of the guardian spirit Ho Phap protects the
pagoda. Inside the gate is a crescent-lotus pond. On both sides of the
courtyard are stele houses engraved with the history of the pagoda.