Ho Chi Minh City
► Fine Arts Museum
► War Remnants Museum
► Vietnam Historical museum
► Ton Duc Thang Museum
► Nam Bo Women's Museum
► Municipal Revolutionary Museum
► Ho Chi Minh Campaign Museum
► Ho Chi Minh Museum
Fine Arts Museum
97A Pho Duc Chinh Street, District 1
The Ho Chi Minh City Fine Arts Museum was set up as the result of a decision made by the Cityís People's Committee in September 1987, but it was not officially opened until 1991.
On the first and second floors, there are exhibits of works by Vietnamese and foreign artists. On the third floor are rooms with displays of works from between the 7th and early 20th century, including Champa and Oc Eo art work, Vietnamese antiques (ceramics, red-lacquered and gilded products, mother-of-pearl inlaid wood, etc.), traditional handicrafts of the Vietnamese ethnic groups and Western art.
War Remnants Museum
Vo Van Tan Street - Ho Chi Minh City
The War Remnants Museum was established in September 1975 in Ho Chi Minh City. It contains countless artifacts, photographs, and pictures documenting American war crimes.
Such documents illustrate the killing of civilians, spreading of chemicals, torturing of prisoners, and the effects of the war on the north. Planes, tanks, bombs, and helicopters are also on display.
Outside the museum are some rooms displaying cultural products of Vietnam.
Over the last 20 years, over 6 million visitors entered the museum. Among this number, nearly 1 million were foreign visitors, including American tourists.
Vietnam Historical museum
The Historical Museum in Ho Chi Minh City was built in 1929 and was called "Mus้e Blanchard de la Bosse" until 1956. During that period, the museum had different exhibits of ancient Asian art.
In 1956, the museum was renamed Saigon National Museum, and finally in 1975, after some renovations, the museum was expanded and became the Ho Chi Minh City Historical Museum.
Through the different exhibits that can be seen, the museum portrays Vietnamís history from ancient times (approximately 300,000 years ago) up to the 1930s, when Vietnamís Communist Party was founded.
The museumís exhibits are divided according to the following topics:
A second part of the museum displays specific characteristics of the Southern area of Vietnam such as the Oc-Eo culture, the ancient culture of the Mekong Delta, Cham art, the Ben Nghe Saigon art, the Vietnamese ethnic minorities, and ancient pottery of various Asian countries.
Duc Thang Museum
The museum has more than 600 items, documents and photos relating to the life of the former president, who is remembered as a great patriot and model fighter. President Thang was the only Vietnamese who participated in the anti-war activities on a French warship on the Black Sea in 1917; these activities supported the success of the world's first proletarian revolution, the Russian October Revolution. He replaced President Ho Chi Minh in 1969.
Bo Women's Museum
The 2,000 sq. m display area of the museum is divided into 10 rooms, each showing the tradition of national construction and defense of Nam Bo Women. A 500-seat meeting hall, a movie theatre, a library and a boutique are also included in the complex.
The Nam Bo Women's Museum opened in 1985 as a center for educational and cultural activities, traditional meetings, scientific seminars and cultural exchanges for women. The museum aims to preserve and highlight the fine traditions of women.
Revolutionary Museum :
The museum displays items related to the invasion of Vietnam by French colonialists, the founding of the Vietnam Communist Party, the anti-French resistance in Saigon-Gia Dinh (1945 to 1954), the anti-American movement, the national resistance of Saigon-Gia Dinh and the Ho Chi Minh Campaign.
Chi Minh Campaign Museum
Furthermore, the museum has a film room, an exhibition room about the staff of Saigonís government and a display of heavy weapons. There are also works of art that give a complete view of the final period of national resistance.
Ho Chi Minh Museum
It is from this area that 21 year old Ho Chi Minh set sail on a French ship named Admiral Latouche Treville in June 1911.
The Dragon House Wharf, originally called Nha Rong, was a French shipping company built in 1862. The first ship left Nha Rong in November 1862.
In September 1979, the People's Committee of Ho Chi Minh City chose Nha Rong as the Ho Chi Minh MuseumĖDragon House Wharf. The name was taken from the two dragon-shaped symbols on the top of the building.
Over time, approximately ten million people, local as well as international, have visited the Ho Chi Minh Museum. In addition, events such as artistic festivals and the introduction of new members into the Youth Union and Communist Party have been held in this museum.
Asia & more | Guest book | Free email | Contact us
(c) 1998-2002 sawadee.com - Reproduction without permission prohibited.